Over the past couple of weeks I have led the Wednesday Evening pot luck in rediscovering who we are as a Reformed Church. I began by sharing some history emphasizing that the movement came from two sources:
First, it was a political movement where the powers to be wanted to get some control back from the Church, and so in the rebellion, took back land and institutional riches.
Second, it was the result of many feeling they could not follow the laws and dictates of the Catholic Church. In general the command was for the church to sell indulgences (forgiveness). The argument over indulgences led to the discovery of other theological differences.
We then looked at a couple of New Testament passages emphasizing both that from the very beginning of the church there were theological differences, and then I pointed out that the people of God were to focus on God and doing his will. When we get caught up on the differences, we miss the calling we have of witnessing, of introducing others to the Good News.
Now after Easter, we will start again with an evening of (no groans please) general theology. This will be followed by a look at why there seems to be such a disconnect between the local church and the national church. When we finish this we will begin the process of developing a mission/vision statement.
SO IF you haven’t come, please join us. 5:30 is the Pot Luck meal but if you prefer just come at 6:15 when we begin the discussion.
SESSION BRIEFS – MARCH MEETING
The monthly stated meeting of the Session of Green Hill Presbyterian Church was held at the church at 2:00 PM on 8 March 2015. All session members were present.
1) Rev. White encouraged us as we continue the discerning process, noting that the process begins with the foundation of first determining who we are.
2) Administration and Stewardship Committee is looking for one additional member.
3) It was recommended keeping the thermostat in the Sanctuary at a constant temperature, noting it would be more economical and minimize moisture concerns.
4) The piano in the Sanctuary needs tuning. A motion was approved providing up to $1000 for piano tuning and repair.
5) The carpet threshold at the entrance to the Sanctuary is repaired.
6) Dates for Vacation Bible School are needed as well as a Director.
7) Girl Scout Sunday was a success.
8) Elder L. filed a written report summarizing highlights of the Presbytery of South Alabama’s recent meeting.
9) Green Hill softball team practice has begun. They will be competing in a league with 12 to 14 teams. The first game was scheduled for 3/16/2015. League membership rules have changed to allow players from other churches on the team if approved by the Pastor and Session.
10) The Eagle Scout project to upgrade the playground has been terminated.
11) Pastor White’s Vacation Dates were approved.
12) The Church Office needs to know about ill parishioners. The Church Office will then contact the Elder sponsor.
13) Congregational Care Committee will be updating the Handy Helper List.
14) All members are encouraged to turn in and/or update their Emergency Contact and Relief Information Cards to the Church Office.
15) All special offerings, such as “Love Offerings,” must first be approved by the session.
16) Dates for upcoming events:
• 3/25 – Cody Watson/Presbyterian Frontier Fellowship Missions presentation
• 3/28 – Church Cleanup Day (weather make-up day)
• 4/22 – Potluck Salad Night
• 5/24 – William L. HS Graduation Reception (after worship)
• 5/27 – End of Year Hamburger/Hotdog Cook-out
17) Holy Week Activities: The following activities are tentatively scheduled:
a. Wednesday, 4/1 – 5:30 PM – Fellowship Hall – Seder meal;
b. Thursday, 4/2 – 6:00 PM – Sanctuary – Maundy Thursday Holy Communion, featuring “Sheep Will Be Scattered” program;
c. Sunday, 4/5 – 6:30 AM – Lee Street Baptist Church – Easter Sunrise Service;
d. Sunday, 4/5-11 AM – Sanctuary – Morning Worship Service with Holy Communion.
18) The next Session meeting is scheduled for 19 April 2015 at 2:00 PM.
Walter J. L.
Ruling Elder, GHPC
Clerk of Session
SPECIAL FELLOWSHIP DINNER
Whether you normally come or not, plan on joining us on Wednesday, April 1, for a Seder Meal. It will be in the fellowship hall and begin at 5:30. If you haven’t heard of a Seder Meal maybe you’ve heard of the Passover. Passover is a special day combining the Feast of Unleavened Bread and the time of the Passover where the Jews were spared death of the first male child. Passover is also known by Christians as the time Jesus celebrated the Last Supper. The Seder Meal is a pot luck meal where we go through the Haggadah (order) of the Seder Meal. Come join us for a fun time, an informative time and a wonderful fellowship time.
MAUNDY THURSDAY COMMUNION
Thursday, April 2, is Maundy Thursday, also known as Holy Thursday. It is the day we remember the events of the Last Supper and the events leading up to the crucifixion. On Thursday at 6:00pm, everyone is welcome to join us for a very special communion service. This year we will be introduced to each of the disciples in a new way, through a sort of “living last supper.” We hope that every member of Green Hill will be able to attend this solemn service.
EASTER SUNRISE SERVICE
This year we will celebrate the resurrection of our Lord with our brothers and sisters across the street. The sunrise service will begin at 6:30am at Lee Street Baptist. Following the service, light breakfast foods will be available in their brand new fellowship hall. Please join us as we worship with our neighbors.
EASTER WORSHIP SERVICE
The Sunday morning worship service will begin as usual at 11:00am. As this is the first Sunday of the month, it will also be a communion service. As we all know, this is the time of year when those who don’t normally go to church on Sunday make the extra effort to come for Easter. This is a wonderful day to invite your unchurched friends. Also, be sure to keep an eye out for any visitors we might have. Green Hill is known for being a close and friendly family church. Let’s do our best to show that off!
ALZHEIMER’S SUPPORT GROUP
The next meeting of the Alzheimer’s Support Group will be held on Wednesday, April 15, at 10am. The focus of this meeting will be “Home Instead” and there will be a guest speaker. For more information, please contact the church office or Kimberli F.
It’s softball time! The Green Hill Softball Team plays every Monday at Donaldson Park, and everyone is welcome to come cheer them on. The games will continue through May and the championship games will be played in June.
EARTH DAY POT LUCK SALAD SUPPER
This year we celebrate the 45th anniversary of Earth Day! Ok, maybe you weren’t planning to celebrate, but any reason is a good reason to join together in Christian fellowship, right? On Wednesday, April 22, our regular pot luck supper will be turned into a pot luck salad supper. So, bring your favorite salad to share and be prepared to learn more about Earth Day.
YOUTH BIBLE STUDY
Over the past several months, April S. has been leading two Bible Studies a week for our youth. The Monday group learned about the book of James, and the Tuesday group learned about the Covenants in the Bible. We are very proud of our youth and we are grateful to April for running the program.
Congratulations to out to those who have completed the Bible Studies. Each youth has been presented with a certificate of accomplishment.
BOOK OF JAMES
It seem spring really may be upon us once again. April brings a lot of opportunities to serve our Lord. I listed many things last month that will be happening in the coming month for you to put on your calendar.
At our **Green Hill General Gathering** we will welcome and get to know our new pastors sweet wife, Susan. She has been such a blessing to us already. On April 18, 2015 Susan will be our guest speaker as she shares some of her life story. The CT will provide a light lunch and time of fellowship so don’t miss this fellowship.
It is also time we elected your next year’s Women’s coordinating team (CT). A big Thank You goes to all this year’s Coordinating Team. They have been so faithful. Please let Linda B. or the search committee know if you will serve in any capacity this year. We need you.
We have been requested to participate in a stamp ministry that sell the stamps to collectors around the world and uses the income to support the preparation, publishing and distribution of a Spanish language curriculum for Sunday Schools in Latin America. All we do is cut off the corner of the envelope leaving a minimum ¼ inch border around the stamp. All stamps presorted/pre-cancelled and bulk rate are valid. Pre-printed and metered stamps are not included. In other words it must be a real stamp.
We thank all that donated to the Mission Challenge of cotton underpants to benefit Mission Haven. They will be collected at The South Alabama Spring Gathering, April 11, 2015 at Spring Hill Church in Mobile. If you can attend please contact Gloria Webb.
WEPS is having its Mother Day Fundraiser again. In the office Sandi has the list for you to submit the names of the women you would like to honor in the newspaper this Mother’s Day. It will be a donation of $5.00 per name to WEPS.
The tickets for the Belks Charity Day Sale on May 2, 2015 are here. Remember the money stays right here in our treasurer and you get a $5.00 discount on your first purchase.
Our annual PW Birthday Dinner on Sunday May 3rd will be right after worship service. Meat, cake, and drinks will be provided and everyone else is asked to bring a vegetable or salad.
Due to Cursillo our April Corinthian’s Bible Study has a date change to April 16th. Looking forward to our time together again this month on April 16th, 2015 at 11:00 a. m.
May God continue to bless and care for us as we care for others. For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for you sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich. 2 Cor. 8:9.