From the desk of Pastor Dan:
Two things to remember, always:
First, The Lord is always with you. You have His presence.
Our little granddaughter “prays the presence” of her grandfather often: “Grandpa, I want you to keep an eye on me.” She knows she gets to do something she wants to do if there’s an adult around. I come in handy for that. And I love to oblige.
I believe that’s the way it is with our heavenly Father. He wants to hear us ask Him for His presence. Of course, He’s going to be there anyway. But He wants us to desire His presence. He wants us to want Him…more and more, every day.
Secondly, the Lord wants you to know He loves you.
John 3:16 starts out with “God so loved the world”, but it’s really individual persons he has in mind. It’s a world of children, young people, adult, and elderly folks He loves. He loves each single person. John 3: 16 provides the real reason God loves the world….it’s because of all the “whosoevers” in that world…”that whosoever believes (puts their confidence) in God’s Son Jesus…shall have eternal life.
The entire Bible is about how much God personally loves human beings, and how He is with those who put their trust in Him.
God wants us to be aware every moment of our lives that He has his loving eye upon us. We need not be afraid. His loving presence is enough.
…Just as I have been with Moses I will be with you. I will not fail you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous….Only be strong and very courageous, be careful to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you, do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may have success wherever you go….Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. (Joshua chapter 1, selected verses)
The above is what I’ve been hearing the Lord say to myself and Anita these last few days. I believe with all my heart God is saying something like this to each of you, my dear, dear friends at Green Hill
Fear not little flock…God’s eye is upon you; and the love of Jesus will see you through.
• Called for a congregational meeting following worship Sunday, August 24th for the purpose of electing three members to the Annual Nominating Committee. The Session appointed Elders Betty C. and Kimberli F. to the ANC.
• Voted to enter negotiations with two prospective supply ministers for a three-month term while continuing to search for a full-time interim minister. Reverend David Jamison will conduct the Communion service the first Sunday of September. Elder Jim L. and Joel M. were appointed to the negotiate terms for the 3-month term.
• Agreed that Elders should contact the members on their “shepherd rosters” to assure everyone of continued pastoral care.
• Received Elder L.’s resignation as chairperson of the Christian Education Committee; Teacher vacancies in the adult classes, if any, will be handled by class members.
• Approved Building and Grounds proposal from Elder Art F. to accomplish the following projects as soon as possible: Electrical systems update for $6000; Parking Lot repair for $2150; steeple painting for $1650. Further research needed to accomplish updates for sound systems in the sanctuary and fellowship hall.
• Met with the Pastor Nominating Committee to explore ways the Session can appropriately support the mission of the committee.
SEPTEMBER 15 & 16 SEPTEMBER 22 & 23
September 15 and Tuesday September 16, September 22 & 23 all electricity to the church grounds will be turned off. This is being done so that the main power pole for the church can be replaced. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions, please contact the church office.
YOUTH BIBLE STUDY
Green Hill’s is still accepting students for the after-school Bible Study. We have two Bible Studies this year, one on Monday and one on Tuesday. Both run from 3:15pm to 5:00pm. All area children from 3rd grade to 8th grade are invited to attend. Transportation from all Enterprise schools will be provided. For more information, please contact the church office at 334-347-9530 or GreenHillPC@gmail.com.
OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD
On November 12, Green Hill is hosting a Taco Fiesta! You all remember how much fun we had last year with the sombreros and the piñata. On that night we will also pack shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. It may seem like it is too early to start thinking about this, but it’s really not. Look at all of the fantastic deals there are on schools supplies right now! As we get closer to the packing date, we are going to be looking for items to put in the boxes. So, if you spot something you think might go well in a box, why not pick it up today? Think how nice it will be to cross some of your shopping off of your list super early this year. :)
INITIAL RESULTS OF CONGREGATIONAL SURVEY
Green Hill Presbyterian Church
13 August 2014
1. A survey was distributed at an evening meeting at Green Hill Presbyterian Church on 13 August 2014 to “take the temperature” of the congregation regarding their views on current actions undertaken by the General Assembly, PC (USA).
2. 90% of attendees responded (37/41). This represents 39% of church membership (37/95).
3. Not all of those surveyed answered every question. Allowing for errors in testing, sampling error is roughly estimated at 5 to 6%.
4. 30% of attendees also included written comments. Those are not posted in order to ensure anonymity. Comments will be reviewed for further consideration by the Session.
5. Survey results suggest the following:
a. A general dissatisfaction with current actions by the General Assembly;
b. A desire to maintain a biblical perspective on issues by the congregation of Green Hill;
c. A need for greater education, especially in the area of Presbytery and social witness policies;
d. A strong identification by respondents with the congregation of Green Hill as a whole.
A copy of numerical tabulated results is enclosed.*
Walter J. Lawrence, M.D
Elder, Green Hill Presbyterian Church
*The original letter and the numerical tabulated results have been posted on the announcement board in the fellowship hall.
Summer is gone and our church activities are beginning this month. Our Bible Study on 2 Corinthians – Treasures in Earthen Vessels will begin September 11th at 11:00 am. This first lesson covers 2 Corinthians 1. The study sheets will be ready the week before we meet.
We have not set the date for our fall membership meeting but on September 13th at Bay Minette, in lower Alabama, the officers’ training and fall retreat for the Presbytery of South Alabama will take place. From 9:30a.m. to 10:00a.m. There will be coffee and registration.
There will be a report on the Guatemala mission trip: officer presentations and questions. Lunch will be provided and we will close with worship and communion. The cost for lunch is $10.00. They will be collecting cleaning items and supplies and the earnings from the gift shop will all go to the Presbyterian Home for Children. We need to have our registration forms in by September 1.
If you are interested in going please let Gloria W., Nancy S. or Betty Jo know as soon as possible. We are looking forward to another wonderful year together.